Thailand Visa Retirement Visa Process Explained
Credits Siam Legal
Things you need to know about the Thai retirement visa:
- Thailand Visa Retirement visa Thailand retirement visa is the popular term for “Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa”.
- The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.
- This is a long term Thai visa that entitles the holder a stay of 1 year in Thailand.
- The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).
- Applicant must be 50 years of age or over
- Must meet any of the financial requirements:
- Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the visa application
- Monthly Income of 65,000 THB
- Combination of security deposit and annual income with a total of 800,000 THB
- Supporting documents are as follows:
- In case of security deposit, you will provide an updated bank book or passbook together with a bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
- In case of income, a letter from your embassy in Thailand verifying your monthly income; or should your embassy does not issue an income letter, you will provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular deposit of 65,000 baht into a Thai bank account
- Other documents that may be required to be presented:*
- Police Clearance
- Medical Certificate
* These are not usually required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand, though there are rare cases, however, when an official from the Thai embassy or consulate may ask for them before issuance of the visa.
Retirement Visa Application Process
The application for the Thai retirement visa can be processed either in your country of residency or in Thailand.
All necessary documents stated above must be submitted to the Thai embassy or consulate in your country.
- Application for the Non-Immigrant OA Visa in your home country:All necessary documents stated above must be submitted to the Thai embassy or consulate in your country.
Please note that not all the Thai embassies or consulates in your country may be able to issue this type of visa.
- Application for the Non-Immigrant O Visa and extension in Thailand:It is required that you apply for a 90-day initial non-immigrant visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country prior to your application for a retirement visa in Thailand
You will have to wait for 60 days to be in Thailand before you can file your retirement visa application at the immigration office or you must be on the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.
Proof of address in Thailand (utility bills, rental agreement, etc.) is also required.
Note:The foreigner on a visa exemption stamp or a tourist visa can still apply for a retirement visa given that the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension visa applications. This can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.
Thailand Visa Retirement visa process
Reminders to the Thailand Retirement Visa Holders:
- 90-day ReportingRetirement visa holder are required to notify the Immigration Office regarding their current residential address every 90 days. This can be done either by mail or by personal visit to the immigration office. You may also enlist the services of an agent to do this on your behalf through a Power of Attorney.
If the retiree is not in the country when the report is due, the counting for the 90-days will start again after upon re-entry to Thailand.
- Re-entry PermitIf you plan to travel in and out of Thailand during the year of your visa validity, you will need a multiple re-entry permit to do so and to avoid your visa from getting cancelled. Otherwise, you need not apply if you plan to stay in Thailand the whole time.
In case you find the need to leave the country for whatever reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit at the nearest Immigration Office or at the international airport before leaving the country.
- Bank AccountThe retirement visa is valid for a year and can be renewed by presenting the same requirements during the initial application. Please note that the required amount of funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.
- Importation of Household EffectsPlease note that retirees cannot import their personal effects to Thailand duty free according to the Bureau of Customs.